NEELB
Home > Parents and Youth > Audiology
Educational Audiology Service

Educational Audiology Service

This service is part of the Educational Psychology Section. 

Under the leadership of the Head of the Educational Audiology Service (EAS), a team of ten Teachers of the Deaf and an Audiologist provide a service for approximately 93% of the hearing impaired children being educated within the NEELB. The remaining 7% are educated either out of Board, in Units for Hearing Impaired Children or at Jordanstown School for the Deaf. 

Currently the NEELB has two Units for Hearing Impaired Children at secondary level. These units are an integral part of their mainstream school. The teachers of the deaf in these units work in close co-operation with EAS and may on occasion assume a peripatetic role. 

Policy of the Educational Audiology Service 

The Educational Audiology Service aims to enable hearing impaired children to develop their spoken language and their thinking, to develop socially and emotionally, to realize their educational potential and to live satisfying and fulfilling lives within a hearing world. In line with the Board's policy of inclusion, where possible and desirable, placement in a child's local mainstream school is the preferred option.  

The Natural Aural approach, which places the emphasis on the development of spoken language, is followed in the majority of cases, unless a parent has decided preference for sign language to be introduced.

SERVICES & INFORMATION

The Education and Library Boards (ELBs) were dissolved on 31 March 2015. The Education Authority was established on 01 April 2015 and is now responsible for all of the operational functions previously carried out by the five ELBs in accordance with the Education Orders.

182 Galgorm Road, Ballymena, BT42 1HN
Telephone number: 028 2565 3333